Solo no more!

Hey wait! It’s not what you think.

No hookup. No romance. No campground high jinks.

After two years of traveling solo, my lovely and well-grounded daughter decided to travel with me for my summer tour of the Canadian Atlantic Provinces. (Quick geography lesson: the Canadian Maritime Provinces include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island; add Labrador and Newfoundland, and you have the Canadian Atlantic provinces. Yeah, I’m confused, too.)

So—I have a traveling companion!

We’ve worked out our respective spots, sleeping and otherwise—in my little trailer. She

The right-hand hangout. The bunk is "upstairs"

sleeps “upstairs” and hangs out on the right-hand bench. I sleep “downstairs” and hang out on the left. I was able to lighten up the trailer by about 50 pounds because I’ll only be living in it for the next three months rather than indefinitely, due to my new home base.

I get the left bench and sleep "downstairs" on the dinette

Julia has filled up the empty shelves and cupboards with hippie skirts and heavy sweaters. She definitely takes “campground chic” to a whole new level.

Tres chic!

It’ll be delightful to have a navigator  while I’m driving. No more trying to unfold a map in the middle of a construction zone. (She won’t even let me look at my cell phone.) And it’ll be a new experience to have a hiking companion. I’m thinking I’ll be urged to new heights of achievement on the trail, and I’ll have young eyes to see the stuff I miss, which is a lot. It’s already been less lonely in the campground.

Plus, I’ll get some special time with my impressive daughter, who is fresh out of college and ready to launch. Who knows when an opportunity like this will come again?

So once again, this mobile lifestyle has yielded unexpected benefits. Who would have thought I’d spend six months with my baby grandson in New York City as I did last winter? Who would have thought I’d travel through the eastern half of Canada with my grown-up daughter?

Life is full of magic.

*          *          *

I’ll post a map of my itinerary soon. (That’s another benefit of a young companion—computer skills!)

, ,

13 Responses to Solo no more!

1. Erik 1 July, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

You two are going to have a great time!

2. Joanne 22 June, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Kate, How special to be with Julia. It is the best to be with our daughters. I will look forward to following your travels. I know you will treasure every moment.

3. Cyndy Pietronico 21 June, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

That is the best! I would love to do that with my daughter! Happy travels!

• Kate Convissor 22 June, 2012 at 11:39 am #

Hey Cyndy! Nice to hear from you! (It’s it odd how we met at the top of the crazy man’s mountain–and here we are!) It’s pretty darned special, all right. She’s in sort of a “gap summer,” and this is a trip I’ve been planning for a long time. So far, it hasn’t disappointed.

4. Anne Stover 21 June, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

what wonderful opportunities for you and daughter, and your new home is charming. Enjoy your summer and I will look forward to reading about your travels.

• Kate Convissor 22 June, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Thanks, Anne. I’m thinking my summer may not be so different from yours, weather and geography-wise–if you’re still in Maine. (I’m in Quebec right now.)

5. Colleen Boe 21 June, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Way to go Kate! How great to have someone to share all those great experiences with and how lucky for her as well. There may be times when that trailer gets a little small (rainy days) but it may be better having someone to play chess with!! Have you still got my girlfriend Chris’s contact info in N.Brunswick??

• Kate Convissor 22 June, 2012 at 11:44 am #

It HAS been great–and a different experience–to have a kindred spirit to share stuff with. And, yeah, as you remember, the trailer’s pretty small. We need to drag out the cards, and the Yahtzee. We’re both pretty slow at chess. I communicated with Chris a couple times, but I think we both got lost in the holiday frenzy. I think I have my route pretty well planned–and I’m “trying” to make my way through Canada more affordable (lots of “guerrilla” camping). The days of the strong US dollar are long gone. :-(

6. Jay 21 June, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Copngratulations Kate ! I wondered what ever happened to Julia. Now I know. Have a great time. I’ll be waiting to read your adventures. (If I ever figure out how to get your website on my New I-pad).

• Kate Convissor 22 June, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Yeah, Julia’s all growed up and is telling her mom like it is. Just spent two days at Ste. Anne de Beaupre. Graced experience, and I’ll be writing about it. We’ve been having a great time.

Good luck with the ipad. Get some young person to help. 😉

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Captain Cyril and the Whale Watch, Bay St. Lawrence, Nova Scotia | Adventure Blog | Travel Journal Blog | WanderingNotLost - 13 February, 2013

[…] Julia and I had moved on across several hundred miles, and now we’d reached the end of yet another […]

2. Prince Edward Island-potatoes, red dirt, and Green Gables | Adventure Blog | Travel Journal Blog | WanderingNotLost - 8 December, 2012

[…] I fell under the spell of “the gentle island.” (And our Julia was ready to drop everything and run off with Jeremy, the waiter. But that’s another story.) […]

3. The "Soo"--Michigan | Adventure Blog | Travel Journal Blog | WanderingNotLost - 25 June, 2012

[…] WanderingNotLost One woman. One big world. Many roads…A travel journal for wanderers of all sorts Skip to content HomeWho I amWhat I’m doingAnd whyMy workContact ← Solo no more! […]