Faces of Mexico..and a peek ahead.

Happy New Year to all my friends and faithful followers. As I’ve said many times: you make my travel rich and, always, you are the reason for this blog.

Every time I think about quitting. Every time I’m tempted to just let my little opus slip quietly into the maw of the digital beast, I get a friendly pat on the back from someone I didn’t even know read this thing–or cared.

Not long ago, for example, I got an email from Art, who lives in a solar-powered home in Ontario. “You haven’t posted in a while,” he wrote. “Are you okay?”

I mean, honestly, how could I even consider a silent bloggie death when folks like Art (and Joe, Marcia, Fred, Maria, Joanne, Dee, Laura, Noel, Cheryl and Jim, and many others) actually read what I lay down.

You make me humble and give me eyes and motivation to document my experience.

So, in typical year-end fashion, I’m peering back a little at the year that was and foward to the one that may come. (Best laid plans, and all that.)

All this year, I’ve (slowly) been telling tales of the five months I spent in Mexico. Granted, I haven’t been all that diligent with the posts, so it’s taken a while, and I still have a lot of stones left unturned. (Mexico City, Oaxaca state and city, Chiapas, Palenque, Merida, and Chichen Itza, to be more exact.) I’d be very happy and relieved to skip all those places and catch up with my life in real time–except that such cool stuff happened. And some of those places are so amazing, that I just can’t skip them. So you’ll have to bear with me for a few more weeks. We’re going to finish Mexico.

But for this real-time break in the forward arrow of time, I want to catch you up on my plans for the year ahead. God willing.

On January 13, I fly to Cartagena, Colombia, and I’ll spend the next 4 months traveling through Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru. This includes an 8-day cruise in the Galapagos and an excursion into the Ecuadorian Amazon. I hope to trek to Machu Picchu, if I can manage the altitude, and see a lot of stuff that is far off the Gringo Trail.

I only have a general itinerary in mind, and truth be told, I’m in a mild state of anxiety? panic? as I think about leaving in–eeek!–just over a week. At least my equipment is nicely broken in after my time in Mexico. (Overall, I was very happy with how well my gear held up. I’ll give you a full report in a future post.) And I haven’t completely lost my Spanish (although it’s become very rusty).

Then, in the autumn, I’ll do a 2-3 week trip to Israel with my BFF, who is Jewish. I am pleased beyond words to share this ancient crossroads and cradle of humanity with someone who belongs to the place in a special way.

So that’s the future. For the present, me leave you with some of the human beauty I encountered (and was lucky enough to photograph) in Mexico.

He's not heavy...he's my brother--in Angangeou

He’s not heavy…he’s my brother–in Angangeou

Smiling Tarahumara girl in Creel

Smiling restaurant owner in San Cristobal

Smiling restaurant owner in San Cristobal

Isabel--one of my guides for the Pueblos Mancomunados trek

Isabel–one of my guides for the Pueblos Mancomunados trek

Encouraging the troops after a successful confrontation with police in Oaxaca

Encouraging the troops after a successful confrontation with police in Oaxaca

Selling toothpicks and letter openers in the market.

Selling toothpicks and letter openers in the market.

Samaritana in Oaxaca--a day when people give strangers a drink. A thick, sweet beverage made from squash, in this case.

Samaritana in Oaxaca–a day when people give strangers a drink. A thick, sweet beverage made from squash, in this case.

, , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Faces of Mexico..and a peek ahead.

1. Noel 10 April, 2015 at 8:57 am #

Hi Kate,

I loved your pictures of the Mexican people captured in all their colorful grace, simplicity, and dignity. What a beautiful country, people and geography! If you get back to the mitten sometime, give me a shout. I’d love to hear from you!

Happy trails–Noel

• Kate Convissor 10 April, 2015 at 9:38 am #

Every time I look at these, they make me happy. Almost every one followed a conversation or some interaction. And, yes, dignity, beauty, and simplicity describe these people well.

I’m in S America right now, and haven’t been able to get as many photos of people, even though I’ve seen a lot of great possibilities. I’ve gotten fairly shy about taking people shots.

Back in May–and I’d definitely love to get together. Sometime this summer for sure!

2. Cheryl 25 January, 2015 at 5:08 pm #

Hello my BFF. I got chills when I saw your mention of our upcoming adventure, which I am studiously exploring. Your pictures are gorgeous. I want to paint the one of the 4 women at the festival. The man making the grasshopper made me think of our friend in NYC with the peelers. Do you recall the name of the man whose Israeli trips were highly rated, Lev something? I can’t find that group of notes. But I do have another possibility to check out. I’m so excited for you. How was Cartagena? An enticing A R. Crusoe & Son booklet arrive with a picture of a street scene and I saw you walking down it. So cool to just type Wanderingnotlost and there you are.
    Love, Cheryl

3. Sandy Christensen 4 January, 2015 at 11:07 pm #

Hi Kate, I am so glad to see that you are still relating your adventures to us vicarious travelers. Mexico is especially close to my heart , and the names of Oxaco, Guadalahara, Chichen Itza, Merida, etc, are bringing back memories of traveling con mi papa y mama, mi esposo, mi hermano, mi cunyada y somos ninos. As you see my Espanol is quite rusty. We found the people to be kind and friendly also. Please continue your narratives as you go to South America now. God’s blessings on your travel, and as an ambassador for your country. Love, Sandy Christensen

• Kate Convissor 8 January, 2015 at 11:00 pm #

Wow, Sandy, I had no idea you traveled so far and wide with all your family. i’ll bet you didn’t see many other gringos on the road. Good memories, hey? Every time i look at my photos, they make me smile.

Thanks for your good wishes. I think S. America will be amazing.

4. Veronica 3 January, 2015 at 4:00 pm #

Thanks once again, Kate. I love the way you travel! Ecuador is on my hoping-one-day list, so I am especially looking forward to reading of your experience there. Take good care.

• Kate Convissor 3 January, 2015 at 5:09 pm #

I’m really geeked about Ecuador, too. It feels more manageable to me–and more economical. I’ll keep you posted…

5. Kate Convissor 2 January, 2015 at 10:27 am #

Thanks, Joe. Yeah, I’m hyperventilating a bit, but I know I’ll get on the plane and the adventure will be amazing as always.

6. Joe Todd 2 January, 2015 at 8:40 am #

Great post and photos. Best of luck with the new year and your “Big” plans.. What an adventure…

7. hoz 2 January, 2015 at 7:07 am #

Beautiful as always Kate. Sometimes we feel better to just experience our travels instead of documenting them. Take your time, enjoy the journey, let the stories steep. Eventually they will come out.

Enjoy your new adventures, I’m envious of your freedom.

All the best.

Hoz

• Kate Convissor 2 January, 2015 at 10:25 am #

Wise advice, Hoz. I’ll try to keep that in mind rather than feeling lazy and guilty all the tme. One real gift the blog has given me, however, is the motivation to stay attentive and take photos. I’m not sure I would have the over 11,000 pictures of the places I’ve been over the past 4 years.

Re: freedom to travel. It’s a fine balance. Every time I go, I leave aged parents and new grandchildren. Their lives don’t stand still while I”m gone; I”m never sure I won’t be called back–maybe too late; I miss my family and they miss me. But so far, the experience is vale la pena, as they say.

I knew that naming names in the blog was dangerous, and sure enough, I left yours out. One of my most loyal followers (whose FB politics are always a breath of fresh air to me). Thanks, Hoz.

8. Joanne Kuszaj 2 January, 2015 at 3:34 am #

Love the pictures. What strikes me are the colors. So many bright colors that seem to exude happiness.

Take care. Joanne

• Kate Convissor 2 January, 2015 at 10:16 am #

That’s it exactly. Once in Oaxace, I was trying on simple handmade blouses in a market. I found a bright rose color that I loved, but it was a little over-the-top for my darker northern taste. I asked a woman who was walking by what she thought. Muy alegre, she said. A very happy color. I bought the blouse, and it WAS a happy color, but just too bright. I traded it the next day for a dark green. Happy colors just arent’ in my DNA.

But they are in Mexico.

9. Mona Miller 1 January, 2015 at 10:19 pm #

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos. These bring me back to the trip I took to Mexico in 2013. The people of Mexico are incredible.

• Kate Convissor 2 January, 2015 at 10:09 am #

It’s so rare to hear that sentiment, Mona. I have such fond and nostalgic memories of the place and the people. I guess we just have to be evangelists for that overlooked and underrated country! 😉

Where did you go there?