I’m baaaaack!

out to lunch

Six months.

That’s how long it’s been since my last post.

Can’t say this long silence hasn’t bothered me. It’s been like an itch in a place I can’t scratch. I also can’t say I haven’t considered throwing in the towel for good and letting my little opus slide silently into the blog boneyard.

The long break isn’t because I haven’t been traveling or that don’t have anything to say. I have been and do.

Five years ago, I began this blog with lots of energy and good intentions. As I traveled I would try to be a good  observer and reporter on the cultural scene and the natural world. I would try not to let my inbred timidity stop me from poking about in nooks and crannies. I would pay attention to what I was learning and try to communicate that as well. And I would, by God, post twice a week.

The blog went live in October 2010, shortly after I left my house and sold my worldly goods to travel.

All the blogger pundits advise a newbie to post regularly and often so as to build a large and loyal following. I figured I had a chance to become one of those blogging success stories or at least to make a little gas money. After all, I’d already been writing professionally for 30 years.

So, ever the slave to a deadline, I posted twice a week for months. But when you are moving constantly and living in a trailer, this is not as painless as it sounds. Usually, the hurdle was technology—I had to get to a place with solid wifi in order to format and upload the next post. And THAT was a hurdle indeed.

Sometimes when I camped in out-of-the way places, like Slab City, I had to drive long distances to public libraries and coffeehouses that may or may not be accommodating. (In the case of Slab City, the library let me log into their free wifi but not to plug my famished computer into its outlet—for “safety reasons.” Whaaaa??!!) In some cases, my tanklike and finicky computer turned its nose up at the signal and refused to let me on. I learned not to order the latte until I had determined the mood of my computer that day.

But I posted steadily, twice a week, for months. I didn’t miss a deadline until, once, I was far out in the desert, and I simply couldn’t bring myself to begin the time-consuming and often futile hunt for wifi. So I stayed put and didn’t post.

I waited for lightening to strike. I waited for the goblins of missed deadlines to bite my shins.

Nothing happened.

At that point, I began to realize that, not only would I not be one of those uber-successful bloggers, but also that no one was really paying attention to my posting schedule, anyway.

Anonymity is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I could stop the ridiculous gymnastics to post according to my self-imposed schedule. But as the years have marched on I’ve really had to take myself in hand to post at all. Once you miss a deadline, and another, the door to sloth cracks open ever so slightly.

I will say that every time, every time, I was tempted to throw in the towel completely, I’d get a sweet email from a reader saying how much he or she enjoyed my blog. And I’d be motivated anew.

I know how it feels to be a regular reader of a blog. You sorta wait for the next post and feel kinda disgruntled when, week after week, you get nothing. Eventually you grudgingly move on and forget about the darned thing. Then, out of the blue, a new post pops into your inbox. I don’t know about you, but I feel a little miffed, like, Well. NOW you turn up all bright and shiny and expect me to jump right back on your bandwagon. Not so fast, Jack. (Or Jill, as the case may be.)

So here I am again. Tail between legs. Hope haltingly rekindled, but now accompanied by uneasiness because I know a lot more viscerally what it takes to maintain a not-so-uber blog. I have some cool stuff to share from my four-month trip this winter through Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru. I’ll be traveling to Israel for a couple weeks soon. And I’m really excited to begin planning a journey along the Camino de Santiago, the traditional pilgrim route, next year. My plan is to do the longer, less-traveled Via de la Plata route through the center of Spain.

But, more on that later. I think I left us somewhere in the middle of Mexico. Next stop: the city of Oaxaca.

, ,

21 Responses to I’m baaaaack!

1. Virginia Feaster 28 June, 2016 at 1:28 pm #

I just read this – so glad you did not give up. I understand how writing can be elusive. I love to do it myself, but discouragement is ever-ready to overwhelm. God bless you for beginning again! I am looking forward to this blog – HAPPY to find you.

2. Dustin VB 3 September, 2015 at 4:03 pm #

So glad to have you back!

• Kate Convissor 3 September, 2015 at 9:49 pm #

Thank you, Dustin. Very humbly grateful to have such a warm welcome.

3. Lois 3 September, 2015 at 8:50 am #

SO GLAD you’re back! Have wondered where in the world you were–as well as how.

• Kate Convissor 3 September, 2015 at 9:47 pm #

You passed the robot test!!! True confessions: I almost failed it on my own blog. Did it ask you to identify all the pickup trucks?

I am so very fine but running the little tires off my car. Looking forward to hunkering down in my cabin in the woods for the winter.

You?

4. Mark 2 September, 2015 at 11:33 pm #

Your ‘I’m baaaack’ was the email highlight of my day. I look forward to more reports from Mexico, and I can’t wait for posts from Spain and Israel. Your return is most welcome to Meat Cove loving Michigander with relatives in Israel and friends in Mexico.

• Kate Convissor 3 September, 2015 at 9:43 pm #

You and I are probably the only Michiganders who have a clue where in the world Meat Cove is. Plus the Israel/Mexico connections! Sheesh. Maybe YOU should be telling ME where to go next.

Seriously excited about the Spain trek, and Mexico is still my favorite place so far.

Thanks for following.

5. Joanne Kuszaj 2 September, 2015 at 10:27 pm #

Kate, so happy to see you back. Looking forward to hearing more about South America & other travels. Haven’t made it to Michigan this summer as I hoped. I will be looking for your posts!

• Kate Convissor 3 September, 2015 at 9:38 pm #

Thanks, Joanne. Please do let me know when you come to Mich again. We really need to meet up!

6. Waltraud Beckmann 2 September, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

A joy to see you again!

7. Joe todd 2 September, 2015 at 4:30 pm #

Saying Hi from Cheticamp N.S. Glad your back

• Kate Convissor 3 September, 2015 at 9:25 pm #

HA! Lots of super-fun memories from there. Enjoy!

8. Art 2 September, 2015 at 7:53 am #

So good to hear from you again. Welcome back. You are a delight to read each time you pop up on my screen. Safe travel and I look forward to every post.

• Kate 2 September, 2015 at 11:15 am #

Actually, Art, you’re kind of inspirational to me with your newsy, folksy posts that offer a glimpse into a simple, sweet, Canuck life. May I continue on as well as you.

9. Ainlay 1 September, 2015 at 10:29 pm #

Always, always know you are welcomed back whenever and whyever you wish to post! Very excited to hear your travels!

• Kate 2 September, 2015 at 11:12 am #

Aw, shucks. Tanks, Ainlay. My travels always seem to pale in comparison to yours, In fact, I’m pondering a long-ish trip to India in a couple years (or so). May pick your brain. Also, still have a short trip to Bolivia to squeeze in. We’ll see. Hope life is rich on your end.

10. Erik 1 September, 2015 at 10:17 pm #

Glad you are back! My blog has fallen into long stretches of inactivity, too :-)

• Kate 2 September, 2015 at 9:24 am #

I KNOW! Looks like you’re back in the saddle yourself. Takes a lot to keep these things going, and you’re a much more faithful poster than I.

11. hoz 1 September, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

Welcome back! I missed you. I guessed you needed a break, or were into something new and exciting and didn’t feel like sharing the experience. Take your time, ease in slowly. For you, the water is always warm.

• Kate 2 September, 2015 at 9:23 am #

I dunno what I needed, but thanks for the attagirl. ‘Preciates it.